Friday, November 21, 2008

Running toward the Light

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

I came to China and went a little crazy...why you may be asking? Every weekday morning I wake to the sound of my clock chirruping at the around the hour of 6 am. I pull on my UNCW hoodie and my sweatpants, do a little stretching, go downstairs and wake the lady at the front of my building in order to unlock the door and head out to into the dark morning. As I walk to the track (or the playground as the students here call it) I always think, "It is so cold. What am I doing?" And then I round the corner and see a huge smile waiting for me. "Hello, Amelia!" Nancy says as I greet her in the morning. We are "taking exercise" in the morning by running around the track. Trust me, I am not a runner or a morning person, and this is where the belief that I have gone a little crazy comes in.
"Okay, let's go," Nancy says as we walk towards the track and wait just a few seconds for the myraids of kong fu kids to go speeding by. Then we trudge around the track four times (and yes, we did work up to that number) and when Nancy say "Okay, that's enough" we stop and walk two more times. In in craziness, I've come to learn more and more that the morning is an unique time. It is a blessing every morning to see the sun rise and watch the sky change before my eyes and go from darkness to light. It is a blessing to spend time every morning with Nancy and run with her and many mornings follow with breakfast. The morning has a peace to it like no other time of the day (especially in China!). My hope is to not only see experience these things in the morning, but see it in my students' lives as well. This is a great reminder for me each morning as well.

Nancy and I out for a Birthday dinner for her!!

For awhile, I was afraid I might start a new student organization with my running. Many students have asked to join me as I run in the morning. Some came and some didn't and now there are a few consistent people. Most mornings it is Nancy, Virgo, and Cynthia who come out to run with me (or more like I come out to run with them). They are always gracious as I run a step behind them and have a nose pouring with snot! I don't know how the girls' never have a runny nose running in 30 degree weather, but they don't. Each morning, there is a something in our conversation which reminds me to keep running for the ultimate prize. So, I will continue this crazienss! (Although, when it gets colder I think we will have to take a winter break).

2 comments:

Laura B. said...

whoa...mornings? running? i may need a little video proof...is this the same girl I lived with? i think i like it! (as long as you don't make me run with you when you come back;) love you!

-Laura

Laura B. said...

whoa...mornings? running? i may need a little video proof...is this the same girl I lived with? i think i like it! (as long as you don't make me run with you when you come back;) love you!

-Laura