Wednesday, December 03, 2008

A "Thankful" Everyday!

The Chinese have a funny little English saying here, "have a happy everyday" or just "happy everyday." I am under no impression this is possible, although I do believe we can have joy everyday. After spending a great Thanksgiving in China, I think the saying should be changed to "thankful everyday." Something I am learning each day in China is to be thankful and of course this can only be magnified by spending my first Thanksgiving away from home in China. Many of the events of my thanksgiving week allowed me to have both "happy everyday" and "thankful everyday" moments. I celebrated Thanksgiving a little longer this year, because I taught many Thanksgivings lessons in my classes and often told my Chinese friends about this great holiday. Thanksgiving week became a week of numerous "Thanksgiving" feast with different friends.

Out for a Thanksgiving feast with my students after class on Thanksgiving.

On the actual day of Thanksgiving, even though I was far from home it was hard to feel sad when I was getting a text from a student every hour or so. The students here all wanted to make sure we felt care for while here on the big holiday. Emily even received 40 text messages! That night, the Baoding team even got together to prepare a big "American" meal...although it was fajitas with a finish of chocolate-chip cookies! I am convinced nothing could have tasted better though.
A wonderful plate of cookies!!! Yummy!

Don't worry, I still had a lovely tradition Thanksgiving meal. This past weekend the whole team went to Lang Fang to meet the teachers there, Courtney and Wil, and even Newt and Claire who came all the way from the US to be with us. We had a great meal with turkey, green bean casserole, and even pumpkin pie. Better than the food though was being in the company of the team! I couldn't have asked for a better weekend. Often people will wish a holiday could be everyday, and I think with the case of Thanksgiving it should be.

Everyone on the team playing a little football in honor of the big day!

No comments: