Friday, November 14, 2008

China Idol

Chinese people love to sing. At KTV (a karaoke place) if there are a group of Americans and Chinese people there, the Americans will always goof-off and sing out of key. While the Chinese sing as though they are really performing for millions of people each time. They take it seriously and almost always have a good voice. I don't understand how all of them can sing so well! Earlier this week, after my Monday afternoon class one my girls appraoched me, "Amelia, do you want to come and be a judge for the foreign-song singing contest?" How could I resist such an offer? As the week went by some of my students learned of my new position of importance (at least for the moment). "Amelia, are you a judge on Thursday night for the contest?" Rita asked me before she proceeded to ask me to help one of her friends make it to the final round. "Rita, if he is a good singer then I will vote for him, but if not...kerrr" I said as I dragged my finger across my throat to let her know jokingly I'd give him the cut. Of course, in reality, her friend is also my student and I was delighted to know one of my students was going to be in the contest.
On Thursday evening, Emily and I headed over to New Campus to take-in all we could of the big event and be a judge... or at least try to be a judge. Can't the students tell I have no talent for singing or music from me "singing" so often in class? Meagan met us at the front gate and led us to a large room with hundreds of students waving around glow-sticks as a band played in front of a chalk board covered in writing and drawings. The whole room was decorated with ballons, and paintings of pictures. The Little Mermaid even graced us with her presence, though I must say her nose has grown alittle since the last time I saw her...the Chinese sometimes call Westerns "big nose."
The annoncers for the evening...so dressed up!

Three or four rows up was a line of empty seats, with a water bottle and papers on the desk in front of the seats, our seats. I felt a little nervous at this point. "Crap, I have no idea who can really sing," I thought. As Emily and I scooted into our seats though a familiar face came up right behind us. Nic, who is our boss on the New Campus was also a judge. He helped us figure out all the papers, translated some of the Chinese for us, and even entertained us as he passionately sang along to most of the songs for the night.
There were two rounds for the night. the first had two people, or a group go head to head against one another. The judges chose which one they liked better and whoever had the most votes made it into the next round. Jack and Creasy are both in my classes and were in the second of these rounds. They had one matching white coats and sang a Westlife song. After singing, while they were standing waiting for the judges to hold up our numbers, they kept glancing my way with a look which said, "Please Amelia, please vote for us! You are our teacher!" I voted for them.

Some of the performers that night were really funny, I had to stop myself from laughing a few times. But most were really good. Emily also had one of her students in the competition, Manson. He was very serious the whole time he performed and totally had the look of a young Elvis, competely with a leather jacket, jeans, and full hair in the front. It was great.
Both of our students made it into the second round, and even placed! Jack and Creasy got second place and Manson got third. The girl who won was awesome with a throaty voice and an easy stage presence. Emily and I had a great time at the contest, and we didn't even have to sing or anything! Below are videos of some of the perfomers and a Chinese teachers....so check it out for yourself.




Creasy and Jack singing Linkin' Park


The Winner for the evening...she is awesome.


A talented teacher




1 comment:

Laura B. said...

That story just made my morning..HA! So were you paula or simon? Just checking;)

lovelovelove!

Laur