Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Can You feel the Love Tonight?


"Can you feel the love tonight," we all sang in an off-key loudness that some might call singing and our Chinese students would be sure to call "very beautiful." As we stood around in arms around each other in a semi-circle, swaying to the genius that is Elton John and The Lion King I couldn't help but feel completely content. The love in the room was amazing and I already feel very close to the people I am serving with in China. This past weekend Newt and Claire, the directors of IECS and Tony came to Baoding to visit us. It is always so refreshing to see someone in the family. They brought a lot of encouragement to me and it was just good to see their face. I was struck though while spending time with them and having them ask how we are doing here, how comfortable I am here and by how satisfied with life right in this moment. I am a teacher and a servant here. I am here to love others. I have no huge plans for the future and nothing at home that is causing me anxiety. I am called to China and it is a honor to live out that call. Even more so than that is the excitement I feel for each day. I literally never know what each day will bring and it is fun to live each day an adventure. Of course this adventure is so much better though because I am getting to share it with a team here, elsewhere in China and at home.
Something Newt really wanted to let us know while his was here was how important it is to share with others encouraging words and words of affirmation. We went around a few times and just said nice things about one another, and though this might seem a little cheesy or a like a love fest, I must say it is such a blessing to hear this words and really does make a difference in your life. They are so important. I am also struck by how blessed I am because of the number of people lifting me up at home. I realize how my life is so covered right now in softly spoken words. It makes me realize when I am make the point to remember someone on a regular basis how important it is to let them know I am doing that. What a blessing to know you are being thought about!
Today was also a very good day. Emily and I went to the RT Mart yet again, but this time in pursuit of food. We ended the night happy with home-made salsa (might I add some of the best I've ever had) and chicken tacos (complete with Monterey Jack cheese!). It was so good.

No comments: