Friday, September 26, 2008

MEI GUO REN!!!

"Mei guo ren (American)," the girl screamed at the top of her lungs as Emily, me and some of our new Chinese friends walked past the elementary school located across the street from our university. In a flash the whole door was full of curious Chinese children who wanted to get their own look at the mei guo ren. This is a normal occurrence outside of campus life. As mei guo ren, the team heard often draws attention and we are considered a spectacle. It does not bother me though. The people are just curious about what they do not know, and usually (not urally) they are extremely nice and want to help you out in any way possible. On this particular afternoon, Emily and I were on our way back from having lunch with some of our new friends here, Ashely (the girl in the video), Grace, Jamelia (yes her name is awesome), and Rachel. After a week here I already am feeling close to Ashely and Rachel and am excited to see our friendship continue!
None of the girls we went to lunch with today are in my classes, but I do have many, many other students in my classes, some include Sammy, Laura, Lane, Hancock, Creasy, Kobe (they love him), Wing, Castle (a boy), and many others. It is always fun when my students have the same names as some of my friends from home. The Laurens at home will be glad to know there are none so far in China, so here their name is all their own. Even after finishing my first week of teaching, it is hard to imagine myself as a teacher. It is fun to get up in front of the class though and help the students learn more about the English culture and language. This whole week I've been teaching the students "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes." They love it!! This is one of my favorite things about teaching, is they love the simple things American students might think is silly. There are some awkward moments in class where the students will all laugh together about something....what they are laughing at I have NO idea! It is the strangest thing. To be fair though, often I will try to make them laugh and all I hear is crickets. In China, with my students, I often don't have jokes, but I try really hard and I think they will eventually catch on.
Last night, Emily and I went to Hebei Financial College where Ryan and Jon teach to go to their conversation corner. At their school, Ryan and Jon are the only foreign teachers right now and so the students are not as use to foreign teachers being around. As soon as we walked in the door all four of us where bombarded with students. It was like we were magnetic! Within a few seconds we were completely surrounded by excited students.
"Where are you from?" "Do you think Chinese food is delicious?" "What do you think of the Olympics?""What do you think of the economics in America?""What do you think of China?""How long will you be here?""Can you sing a song for us?"
These are among some of the questions repeatedly asked at conversation corner. It is a lesson in patience and personal comfort as students are pressing in from every direction.
After leaving to go get dinner, we were riding the bus back in the direction of home. As the bus came to a stop Emily shouted out, "That sign says Champion Pizza!" Without much other thought the four of us ran from the bus and towards the cheese heaven. Inside the restaurant was decorated Western style complete with booths and forks and knives. We ordered the "Typical American Pizza" and a chicken pizza and dined delightfully. This might become one of our favorite restaurants in the future. I am eager to make Baoding my own.

No comments: