Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A thankful heart

One thing the director of IECS, Newt, told us before he left to return to US was to remember to be thankful each day and for the many ways we are blessed. Since that time I have thought on those words and how I might learn to be more thankful in my everyday life, especially in China. So below I just wanted to list a couple of things I am thankful for here in China!
1. I am no longer sick!!! Praises! It was not fun being sick, but right after the whole team lifted it up as a group I immediately started to get better. He is so faithful to answer.
2. All the Chinese students make me smile each and every day here. It is easy to love the students and to want to have deeper relationships with them. It is so fun to hang-out with them. Each time we spend time with the students, I always have a good time and enjoy myself. I enjoy their company just as much as they enjoy mine. It is always interesting as well to hear what the students will say as well. The other day we were helping our friend Rachel out with a speech she was preparing for a speech contest and we thought she said, "Obviously, I had to help out the blind lady..." but later when asking her a question about the "blind lady" we learned she was really trying to say "blond." Of course, I had to tell Rachel it might not be a good idea to say "Obviously, I had to help out the blond lady..." because of all the blond jokes in the US (I had to stand up for all of us blonds!) It was very funny to explain to the girls though. Below is a video of some of us hanging out and playing a game called Monkey Ball.


3. Tony and Lily's new baby!! I am so excited for my Chinese friends Tony and Lily who just had a new baby. Her name is Ximei (pronounced she-may). This past weekend we went to Beijing again and didn't see the new baby, but did see Tony. He shared these pictures with us. This is Lily with Ximei. Tony definitely had the look of a new proud, tired parent. His face was glowing with pride.






4. I love teaching my classes. Before coming to China, I was a little nervous about teaching, and it was the part of coming to China I felt the most uncomfortable about. Now, though I enjoy going to my classes and teaching them. I think it is fun to come up with creative lesson plans that get the students up and moving. I am so grateful that I can enjoy this time in China as well. Below is a video of my students playing the game swords in class.


5. I am surrounded by a great team both here in Baoding and those who are teaching in Lang Fang and Tian jin. This past weekend, we went to Beijing again to watch Peter and Brad run in the Beijing Marathon and we had the opportunity to meet all together again because of this. Whenever, we meet all together it is always a good. It is nice to be different parts of one body. We need each other and are able to offer different gifts and talents. I love working with the people here.

No comments: