Friday, December 12, 2008

Am I in Wal-Mart or China?


Standing just outside campus, Emily and I looked down the road in waiting and hoping to see the 27 bus. "Man, they usually come faster than this," Emily said as the 22 bus pulled in front of us. As the door opened, a college-aged girl came flying towards Emily with her arms-wide-open. She looked like a bat out of its cave spreading its wings to fly. "Hellooo!" She said and she warmly embraced Emily. A surprised expression crossed Emily's face, but also one of joy and delight. Emily chatted with her student for a few moments before Joy (yes, she lives her name out) ran off in the wrong direction, before running right back in front of us again a moment later. It is unusual for Chinese students to show so much excitement when seeing us. Often times they are really excited, but are also nervous, so they don't show their excitement always through their body language. This was a rare and beautiful experience.
Later, that evening, walking into the KFC for dinner, the first person I saw was two of my students. A girl, and a guy with the former name of Boobie until I made him change it, and now it is Alex. I said hello to them both and they offered me some of their food, which I declined. I think they were on a date because in China it is common for guys to take their girlfriends on dates to KFC. I think guys in the USA would love to hear this, along with their wallets. As I savored a huge gulp from my large cola, a boy came over and pulled the children's chair to our table and sat down. He looked to Emily and then to me. Emily then looked to me as if to say "I don't know him, he has to be your student!" Images of my students flowed through my mind as I tried to desperately local just who this boy could be. Before I could place it...."Hello, do you remember me?" Oh no, that is always the question! "Ummm, maaaybe....." I replied as I still shifted through the faces in my mind. "Do you know Jon Allison?" He asked as head did a sharp nod down, "We are his students. We ate lunch with you." Click and there it was! Jack and his friend chatted for only a moment more before leaving as abruptly as they came. We then finished eating and headed out to do our shopping for the night.
After making our way up and down most of the aisles in the store and examining the bake goods for about 20 minutes with no selection being made we headed for the check-outs. "Hello, Amelia!" I heard as I pushed my cart around the corner. Looking up I saw two of my students from my class that day. It was DeAnn and Jason! They are also both students who I had lunch with on Thanksgiving. I think I was as excited to see them as they were to see us. We chatted with them for a few moments before we all headed as a group through the bottom level, up the down ramp, past the toiletries, past the frozen food, past the boxed and bagged milk to the baking goods. "Is is this baking soda?" We asked as we held up a bag that had Chinese characters all over it and Saleratus written on it. After a consultation with their translators the students confirmed our guess. "Yes, we were right!" Emily yelled out. We all then went back to the front of the store and then left together to head back to our homes for the night. As I reflected on my night I couldn't help but feel joy at seeing so many people I knew. Over the past week, Emily and I have both felt a little homesick and it was nice to have an evening where even though we are in a still very unfamiliar country at times, their are faces popping up everywhere that we know. It reminded me of when you are in the US and you go to Wal-Mart and of course, run into somebody you know.
On another note, I decorated my room this week for Christmas and it is fabulous! Below are pictures of my Chinese Christmas tree!!!! Enjoy! I am so excited for Christmas.

This is my tree!

This is my desk all lit up!! Yah!!

No comments: