Tuesday, March 24, 2009

All in a Days Work

Two presentations down, and only one more left to go,I thought as I sat in my eight o'clock morning class. I called the next student up and she approached the podium with a slight amount of confidence, laid her papers before her and in a powerful voice started in, "When I heard the topic of the most influential person in my life..." She was doing well in her speech. I noted good speed, interesting stories about her best friend and her in high school, good eye contact, not too many filler words; this is going pretty good. As if timed with my thought, she hesitated and stumbled over her words. Placing her hand on her head and pushing her fingers into her head she desperately tried to find the words she practiced so hard for this day. Her eyes rolled around a little and she seemed like she just stepped off a boat after a storm. Oh no, I thought, as her fellow students looked over to me as the leader and teacher of the class. She is almost done; she can make it through; she'll find her words, I now was the desperate one. The stumbling through of words stopped and as if on cue, her eyes rolled back into her head and eye-lids closed as if she were giving the long-blinks of someone who is really tired. Down she went. She didn't fall hard like a book being chucked to the ground, but like a feather floating its way down. What the crap! My student just fainted!!! As if they were a wave heading to shore, the whole class came flooding to the front of the room around the island of my student. "Everyone go sit down." I commanded the students to get some of the attention off of my one student who had just fainted. "Does anyone have water?" Another student in the front role lurched her water towards me immediately. Even though I told all the students to sit down, the boys remained around the girl until she came to. Luckily, it only took a minute for her to come back from her fainting spell. Like gentlemen, they helped her walk to her seat and brought her some candy. "Are you okay? Do you need to go back to the dorm? I will let someone go with you." I asked her with matching shaky voice and hands. She shock her head indicating she wanted to remain in class. And so on with class we went... So today, I felt like a teacher, doctor, helper, friend, entertainer, and so many roles. Besides just having interesting dramatic moments like the one above, my class has also been up to some other interesting things. Last week, I taught about St. Patrick's Day and asked all my students to wear green to class. To my green delight, many of my students did!! Below are pictures of my class all ready for the holiday!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love your teacher stories...I can totally relate.